8/30/2007

Ooooooo! Bells & Whistes!!!

I honestly was not planning on buying a bike before next spring. I wanted to spend a long time studying and getting information on what where the best brands & components. I also wanted the biggest bang for my buck. I had an idea of what I wanted... possibly an entry level mountain bike, something simple, strong & reliable... just the basics, no bells & whistles. I had also established a maximum price of $350 to $400.(tax included)

About a week ago I went to my friends place in Ste Anne des Plaines (small town) for dinner. On our way there he said there was a Norco retailer in town... would I want to check it out? "Shure... just a peak... not buying anything..." I had already researched some of the models... and had an idea of the price range. We went in... and I noticed there was still allot of 2007 models left. (very small town) They where all lined up in ascending order. I knew that only the first 3 (MTB) models where in my price range... after that well... I would be eating Kraft Macaroni for awhile. (not that there is anything wrong with that fine delicious product) As I was admiring the bikes, I heard my friend do a "Ooooo!... look at the red one." I knew which model he was talking about... and I knew it retailed at $489 before tax. I walked over to look at it, I noticed an error in the price... it said $429. That was the price of the model before it... seems that someone made a mistake with the tags. Even at that price I was hesitant. Then I heard the young lady say... "All bikes are 30% off..." to which I replied "Oh so they are already marked down then?... ... ... NO!?"



The Norco 2007 Scrambler
Front suspension, disc brakes, aluminum frame...




I like bells & whistles... what's wrong with bells & whistles?













$300... what would you have done?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. Looks a lot like the Specialized Hardrock I used to own... stolen by a scum sucking bike thief... on which I had many fine cycling adventures. The disc brakes were nice, I remember that. I think you've started down the long road of bicycle fetishism! You've got two bikes now: one for commuting, one for fun rides. What's next? Something with skinny tires, I'm thinking.