8/25/2007

Emotional day for the Supercycle


Friday was my day off so I planned yet another daily trip.
Thursday evening during the Supercycles regular time spent on the operating table... (grease the chain, adjusted the Rear Derailleur, repacked the bottom bracket, etc, etc) I had made a decision. I had found a new bike on on sale and was planning to purchase it Friday evening. My friend Julie who works in Laval was all part of the plan. After my ride I would go meet her at work... and would go pick it up together in her minivan. The Laval daily trip was just a ruse to keep the Supercycle busy for awhile... The Supercycle did not fall for it... It was hot, humid & windy... I had problems with the rear shifter & I also noticed a bump on the rear tire... everything seemed more difficult than usual. After 70 km... two blocks away from where I was to meet Julie... I had a blowout... not a flat... a bang! The Supercycle knew... just like a girlfriend you're about to dump... it knew. This was to show it's discontent... 45 min. later a shinny new sexier model was leaned up against it in the minivan. I felt guilty... this bike had changed my life... I would have never dreamed being able to do over 120km in one day, or over 1700km in less than four months. This blog was created in part for it's achievements... not only mine... it deserved better. The Supercycle will be repaired... I will eventually change the lower bracket, change the rear shifter & repair the the flat... but the next time it will be taken for a ride... it will be cold and dark, and will only be used to commute to work (that... it has done so well), the long days of sunshine and travel to new and far off places a distant memory.

Then again... you never know.

- Departure : April 27th 2007
- Arrival : August 24th 2007


Out of respect... the details of the new bike will only be revealed after a few days... to let the Supercycle enjoy the headline.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had me laughing so hard I was crying. Good decision. Your trusty blue steed will be happy with commuting. That's probably what it was made for. And you'll enjoy your longer rides on a more reliable, more efficient bike. Looking forward to finding out what, exactly, it is.

BTW, I had TWO similar blow-outs. Three, actually, if you count the two I had within five minutes of each other. It was the those cheap tires. My SuperCycle is now running much more reliably with Specialized Crossroads tires with Flak jackets... the only thing is, they cost about half what the bike cost in total. Add the bottom bracket, it's a nice little ride, and I've found myself taking it out on longer rides. I don't think I'd push it past 100 Km though. Maybe if I'm feeling masochistic or adventurous one day.

Maple Leaf Cyclery said...

*sniff*